Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Blinde Side by Michael Lewis


I read half this book. The reason is because while I really enjoyed the story of Michael Oher and the Tuhoy family, the rest was about the specific reason the left tackle (Oher's position) is so important to football, and the evolution of how it become one of the most highly paid positions in pro football, second pretty much only to the quarterback. So that part was pretty boring and I skipped most of it, but what I basically gleaned from what I did read was that the left tackle is superimportant because he protects, you guessed it!, the quarterback's blind side. So he can prevent an awful thing happening like Tom Brady getting tackled and ripping his acl and sitting out from a year and coming back and the Patriots never being quite as awesome as they once where. Bitter much? Yes. (I had to watch the Patriots/Giants superbowl in New York, with all my Giant's fans friends, while I had the stomach flu. )
So this position is muy importante. But I don't really care about that, what I care about is the feel good story of a bunch of white Christians rescuing an African American teenager from bitter poverty and then turning him into the "next big thing" in pro football. Ok, that's a little unfair but it's basically what the book boils down to. I haven't seen the movie yet but I'd like to because Sandra Bullock is awesome. The story was feel good and heart warming and the Tuhoy's are an amazing family and Michael Oher is a great example of a "rags to riches" success story, so yay for everyone involved, and Michael Lewis: next time please focus more on the heart of the story and less on the boring analysis-y stuff. K? Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment